Front Line Mortgage Underwriter
Location: Fairfax, Virginia US
Requisition Number: 1848
The Oakleaf Group is seeking virtual Front Line Mortgage Underwriters who can support our client to evaluate and underwrite conventional and home equity loan applications, as well as FHA and VA loans, Jumbo and self-employed mortgage loans nation-wide according to specific state and federal requirements limiting the risk exposure to the lender. Collect and organize required loan and property documentation to make appropriate decisions on the acceptability of the investment risk using established guidelines of lender, secondary market investors, and applicable state and government regulations. The ideal candidates will have a minimum of 5 years’ experience in residential mortgage loan Underwriting. Speed, Quality, and Attention to Detail are critical factors for success.
- Analyze credit reports independent of scoring systems to confirm loan eligibility.
- Analyze exceptions and rejections; recommend alternative mortgage products better suited to the loan applicant.
- Approve mortgage loans and authorize loan disbursements based on a complete analysis of submitted documentation and applicable rules and regulations
- Collaborate with managers and participate in mentoring sessions for Mortgage Processors, Mortgage Closers and Mortgage Loan Officers.
- Collaborate with training team to maintain the on-line manual to ensure all guidelines are conveyed accurately and consistently
- Determine the acceptability and marketability of the real estate property to ensure there is sufficient collateral to secure the loan.
- Evaluate assets needed to close the loan and determine the acceptability and adherence to investor requirements.
- Perform secondary review of loans that are suspended and/or declined.
- Prepare and present counter-offers on marginal loans; prepare adverse action (loan disapproval) notifications, with awareness of the compliance provisions of the regulatory agencies.
- Review and evaluate documents to ensure adherence to lender and all other relevant industry guidelines to ensure loan acceptance.
- Review/understand effects of contracts related to real estate, such as age restrictions, HOAs, etc.
- Work closely and collaboratively with loan originator and processor to ensure all appropriate data is obtained.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field is preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years of recent and consecutive experience in Underwriting agency conforming loans.
- High level of proficiency with mortgage loan processing and underwriting systems.
- Advanced knowledge of mortgage/equity loan processing, closing and documentation requirements and regulations
- Advanced knowledge of underwriting process and understanding of applicable criteria, guidelines, rules and regulations
- Proven ability to handle multiple projects and meet deadlines.
- Effective organizational, planning and time management skills
- Effective research, analytical, and problem solving skills with experience conducting complex business financial analysis
- Effective skill exercising initiative and using good judgment to make sound decisions
- Solid Time Management skills and the ability to organize prioritize and perform multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Commitment to excellence and high standards.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to manage priorities and workflow.
- Versatility, flexibility, and a willingness to work within constantly changing priorities with enthusiasm.
- Acute attention to detail.
- Good judgment with the ability to make timely and sound decisions.
- Ability to build and sustain relationships with staff and branch personnel
- Analytical ability with an aptitude for figures.
Third party candidates will not be accepted.
US Citizenship/US Permanent Residency required.
Community / Marketing Title: Front Line Mortgage Underwriter
The Oakleaf Group is a premier advisory firm with expertise in risk management and financial modeling for the mortgage and banking industries. We serve publicly traded and privately held banks and non-bank mortgage firms, government agencies, law firms, insurance companies, institutional asset managers and hedge funds. Founded in 2007, our firm’s over 100 professionals are located in the Washington, DC and New York City metro areas, serving clients across North America and Europe.
We differentiate ourselves through our approach to client relationships. We begin with the belief that each client relationship will be permanent and ongoing, spanning across engagements. We invest in communication and research to ensure that we fully understand the drivers of every client’s short and long term success. We align our goals to those of our clients, and we continuously monitor and adjust to ensure that the relationship stays strong.
It’s on the foundation of strong client relationships and aligned objectives that we provide expertise-infused advisory services and technology-aware implementation assistance that drive client success.
Location_formattedLocationLong: Fairfax, Virginia US
CountryEEOText_Description: As a condition of employment with The Oakleaf Group, any successful job applicant will be required to successfully complete a background investigation, which may also include a pre-employment drug screen and/or a credit check for positions in some areas of our business. The Oakleaf Group is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants are considered for positions without regard to race, religion, gender, native origin, age, disability, or any other category protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws.